Monday, March 25, 2013

PRINCE PIZZERIA & GIGGLES COMEDY CLUB SAUGUS MA

It's Saturday night and we're still checking out Rt 1 Pizza spots. Tonight it's an old favorite of mine The "Leaning Tower" Prince Pizzeria and Giggles Comedy Club 517 Broadway Saugus MA. http://www.princepizzeria.com/


I've been coming here since I was a kid. Probably my favorite pizza as comfort food place to go. They also have a full assortment of pastas and Italian specialties. Still run by the Castraberti family since 1961.

A great part of my college years was spent here on a weekend night listening to the Zaitchik Brothers Band (who at the time fetured Matt "Guitar" Murphy later a member of the Blues Brothers Band and played in the Movie). Also a favorite were the Cochran Brothers who as it turns out are cousins of mybeloved Karen. W spent many a night listening and singing along while eating pizza and drinking plenty of beer. The drinking age was lowered to 18 when I turned 18 so I spent mty college years footloose and carefree. The age was returned to 21 when i turned 21. An experiment gone bad i guess. As Dean Wormer once said "drunk and stupid is no way to go through life."

 


Tonight we met Diane and Steve in a part of the restauraunt known as Giggles Comedy Club. They have two seating's a night and serve a full menu. The feature comic was the great Lenny Clark.


We had to get a pitcher of beer for nostalgic reasons.

 


My favorite pizza is meatball. They serve a round baked pan style pizza that has a soft but crispy crust.

 




The girls decided it would be boys choice tonight. Steve chose the "Ask Jeff Special" featuring "Bianco Famous" Italian Sausage, pepperoni, meatball and bacon. A meat lovers delight. Bianco is a meat distributor in Revere MA. Karen and I like to go there for sausage and steak tips. They have the best around.

 



Both pies were awesome and we even ordered a second "Ask Jeff Special" just before the show began.

All the comics were fun and entertaining. It turns out Lenny Clark's brother is connected with Giggles and met us at the door. A gracious host to say the least. Serving staff was attentive for the large crowd and meals arrived timely and hot.

Lenny Clark was a riot and kept the whole house in stitches. He is as sharp as ever and mentioned he was headed to the west coast this week to shoot a TV pilot.

The evening came to an end and we left. I stopped to take a picture of the stage and as I was walking out there was Lenny himself who extended his had in greeting. He was then surrounded with ladies to take pictures with so I took my leave. Karen asked where I was so I nonchalantly said " oh just taking a picture of the stage and chatting with Lenny".


Gang....The Prince is like an old home to me. I'll always come back and enjoy the good food and great hospitality.

But then again when it comes to the Prince I'm far from impartial.

No comments:

Post a Comment